Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Let's Talk Safety

I have always felt safe on my running routes.  I live in a nice town, run during the day, and stay on well-traveled sidewalks/trails.  If I do run when it's dark, I always have a running buddy or Ellie with me and only run in areas that are familiar and well-lit.  I also think it's important to run with only one earbud in.  This way I can listen to my music while still being aware of my surroundings.  I, for one, never let my guard down so I'm always paying attention to anything out of the ordinary.

I recently noticed a man parked in the guest lot at our condo complex.  I noticed him last week as I left for and returned home from an evening run and again yesterday morning.  He just sits in his car which I find highly unsettling.  Regardless of what he was doing, his presence served as a wake-up call.  While I know calling the police is the first step in ensuring our safety here, the second step is reminding all of you to be careful out there.

I think that I will be adding mace to my running belt.  What do you do to keep safe?

Heather

1 comment:

  1. I try to do the same things but run in regular, safe places. I do have mace but admit that I'm not very consistent with making sure I take it with me.

    ReplyDelete