Thursday, June 7, 2012

National Running Day 2012

It's hard to believe that I started my journey as a runner almost a year ago.  It all started as a family challenge that my mom presented to my sister and I.  "Can we run a half marathon together?"  Little did I realize that by accepting that challenge, I would find a love for running during the process.

Since yesterday was National Running Day, I wanted to reflect on some of the reasons why I love running:
  1. Ellie gets to come with me:  I love spending as much time outside with my pup as possible.  Running allows us to spend even more quality time together.  Since Ellie loves to run, she sees running with me as a treat so it's a good time for everyone involved.
  2. I get to enjoy beautiful scenery:  I don't think I ever realized how beautiful Columbus and it's surrounding suburbs are until I started running.  Now, I get to enjoy the city, parks, and my own neighborhood every time I head out for a run.  I also love exploring new places to run so I'm constantly finding new routes.
  3. Running is relaxing:  Hitting the pavement at the end of the day really helps me clear my mind and destress.  Whether it's a quick run to get out some frustration or a long run to really allow me time to think, running has been my outlet.
  4. Running keeps me active:  I've always been a very active person and love team sports.  However, the past few years have been far too busy for me to commit to a team and specific schedule.  Running allows me to continue being active and I can fit it in where my schedule allows.
  5. I love a challenge:  Running has sparked my competitive spirit.  I may not be running to be the fastest person in a race, but I'm still competing with myself.  With running, there are always new goals that I can set for myself and new races to conquer.
These are all things that drive my desire to run.

Did you celebrate National Running Day with a run?  What do you love about running?

Heather

5 comments:

  1. Great post Heather! What type of dog is Ellie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellie is a Lab/Pointer mix that we adopted from a local shelter.

      Delete
  2. I celebrated with a 7 mile run on the machine. I wanted to run on the streets but it was too hot. I love a million things about running but mainly the challenge and the way it relieves my stress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, I did not celebrate running day with a run. I did too much partying this past weekend on a trail race =) I love running because it reminds me I'm capable of achieving extraordinary things.

    Do you live in Columbus, OH? I went to school there, but quickly retired my running when winter hit (ok, when Fall hit... I'm a Florida girl!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do live in Columbus. I want to college here then left to attend law school in Boston, but now I'm back here to stay since it's close to family.

      Delete