Monday, August 27, 2012

Bad Shoes = Bad News

Do you remember how I said that my feet were killing me during the Cap City Half in May?  I blamed the pain on my new Brooks Ghost 4 running shoes not being broken in yet.  Unfortunately, the shoes never felt right and I have been struggling with soar feet and shin splints as I have attempted to break them in.  After taking weeks off from running to let my shins heal, I have decided that my shoes are to blame.

I've been on the search for new shoes but have found that I like the Brooks Ghost 5 the best.  I know they are a new design so they aren't the same as the Ghost 4, but am I crazy to buy them since I've had so much trouble with my current Brooks.  They really do feel the best out of every shoe I've tried on.

At this point, I'm just dying to get back out there and need shoes now.  My running store has a 90-day run and love or run and return policy so I can always return them if I have the same problem.  My issue is that the Columbus Marathon is in 2 months and I'd really like to have my new shoes broken in ahead of time.  If I don't like these, I'm worried that I will be left with little to no time to break in the replacement pair before my race.

Another problem I'm facing is that I am so far behind on my training schedule that I don't think I'm going to be able to run the full marathon.  I'm scared that I will strain myself by trying to build the miles at this point, but hate the thought of downgrading to the half.  Realistically, I think I could finish a full with a 18 or 20 mile long run under my belt but would have to train hard to get there.  I'm not sure that I can push that hard coming off of these shin splints.  I have until August 31st to make my decision so I'm trying to weigh my pros and cons.

Any words of wisdom on shoes?
Has anyone else had to downgrade or drop a race?

Heather

3 comments:

  1. Finding the perfect shoe that works for you can be tough. I have a favorite and have found others that have qualities that my favorites don't but I stick with them. I think that you know yourself best and if you feel like you are not ready then it may be best to postpone the marathon when you are properly trained and comfortable moving forward. You want to feel confident and don't want to push yourself into an injury. You have plenty of time to run another marathon. Hope your shoes workout. Shin splints are no fun :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The marathon will be always be there for you when you're ready for it. Don't feel pressured to run one so soon if you're not feeling ready or if you're flirting with an injury. It's best to listen to your body.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There will always be marathons to run- but you only have one body! Take care of it! Pushing too hard is the best way to ask for an injury!!
    Shin splints are no fun! I battled them for a year and still occasionally suffer from them.
    Keep on running!

    ReplyDelete