Sunday, August 12, 2012

Training for My First Marathon

I am excited (and a little terrified) to announce that I am officially registered to run my first marathon.  Holy crap, I am going to run a marathon!  Actually declaring my intentions to the world is a little terrifying.  I used to struggle with a single mile and now I'm voluntarily signing up to run 26.2.  While I do have two half marathons under my belt, I'd hardly say that I'm a running pro.  Running a marathon is just one of those things that I never thought that I could do, so this October 21, 2012 I'm going to attempt what I once thought was impossible.

I have been running but am definitely behind on my training schedule due to studying for the Bar Exam.  I'm doing a modified version of Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Marathon Training Guide since I had 14 weeks to train instead of 18.  However, now that I'm 10 weeks out from the race, it's time to push for those higher miles so that I can finish the race.  

As part of my motivation, I am running the race for the shelter that we adopted Ellie from; the Union County Humane Society.  I set up a fundraising page and can't wait to see how much I can raise for them.

Do you have a favorite charity that you run for?  Any advice on training with a modified training schedule?

Heather

7 comments:

  1. How exciting! Your first marathon will be a experience and I am sure you will be back for another one! Have fun with your training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting! Try to build up your long runs but you can probably still modify the schedule and be OK...can you double check your link to the fundraising page?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm definitely focusing on building my long runs. The fundraising page should work now. I'm not sure what happened.

      Delete
  3. Good luck and remember: you CAN do this!!! Enjoy your first time, it'll only happen once. Also, if you need something to listen to during those long runs, check out Marathon Training Academy podcasts- they're awesome. And speaking of long runs, however you modify the training plan, make absolutely sure you get your long runs in because they are the most important for training.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on signing up for your first full! I'm running my first full this December. Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on signing up for your first marathon! I still haven't taken the plunge, maybe next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck on your first full! I am training for my first 1/2 and I am super excited and terribly nervous!!

    ReplyDelete