Monday, May 21, 2012

Warm Weather Running

Memorial Day Weekend is almost here, which means this beautiful Spring weather is going to be replaced by hot, humid days.  Personally, I love Summer because I get to wear cute sundresses, go boating, attend festivals, cookout with friends/family, and enjoy all that the season has to offer.  However, as a runner, I'm not a fan.  The thought of running in anything over 65 degrees sounds absolutely miserable to me.

Since I only recently started my running journey (I started last Fall), this will be my first Summer as a runner.  I know that I need to add early morning runs to my schedule but won't be able to avoid the heat forever, especially with my long weekend runs.  I have the basics for warm weather running such as shorts and a few tanks but realized I have several things that I still need.  Here is the list that I have compiled so far:
  • Spandex shorts - I learned during the Cap City Half that my current running shorts are not good for long distances, especially in the heat.  New spandex shorts are a must so that my thighs don't chafe.
  • Water bottle or Hydration Belt - My current fuel belt only holds 2 bottles so I'm debating on whether I should buy a 4 bottle belt or if I should get one of those handheld hydration bottles.  The bottles seem like they would hold more water but I don't really like carrying anything when I run, especially over long distances.
  • Sunscreen - I'm religious about wearing sunscreen anyway but need to find something that is easy to apply, won't run into my eyes when I sweat, and will protect me for the duration of my run.
  • Running tanks - I mentioned that I have a few running tanks but they aren't super lightweight.  I want a lose fitting tank that will allow for air flow.  Unfortunately, all the tanks that I have found so far are either form-fitting or have too much extra fabric at the underarm.  The extra fabric look ridiculous but I'm also worried that it will cause chafing so I will continue that search too.  If I could get my abs in a little better shape, I would just run in my sports bra.
  • Sunglasses - I cannot wear hats.  I think they are uncomfortable/hot and feel like they really impair my peripheral vision.  I'm thinking a cheap pair from Target should do the trick.
Am I missing anything?  This list is still a work in progress so hopefully I can be prepared as the weather heats up.

Heather

1 comment:

  1. I would highly recommend using "technical" fabric- the fancy sweat-wicking material that so many running shorts and tops are made out of. Cotton will be your worst enemy when you sweat. I've never run in spandex before so I don't know how that does, but I know the running-specific shorts are awesome (the ones with built in lining/underwear). Also, if you have problems with chaffing, try Vaseline instead of Body Gluide- it smells better and is way cheaper! ;)

    ReplyDelete