Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Scenic Route

After my less than impressive performance at the Capital City Half Marathon a few weeks ago, I decided that I wanted to have some time off before starting my new training schedule.  I thought that it was really important to allow my body some time to bounce back from a month of sickness.   Although I have really missed sticking to a running schedule, I know that it was the right thing to do for my body.

Even though I haven't been on a training schedule, that doesn't mean that I still haven't gotten in some of my favorite outdoor activities.  It's been way too nice to just stay inside so  I've been taking it easy with some short runs, long walks, and trips to the dog park: all with Ellie of course.


Since our runs and walks are meant more to enjoy the weather rather than to train, we have gotten to enjoy the amazing scenery in our area.  I sometimes miss how beautiful it is around us so these past couple of weeks have certainly reminded me to stop and look around.


While taking it easy was good for my body, I am ready to get back out there.  I have decided that tomorrow will be the first day of my new training schedule.  I've taken a few training plans and modified them into a single schedule to fit my needs.  I am still tweaking parts of the schedule, so hopefully I work out the details soon.  I do know that since I didn't adequately train for the last race due to being sick, I want to start slow on my new training plan so that Ellie and I can both avoid straining ourselves.  We will be starting this week with a few short runs.  I hope to have an update on my schedule as soon as it's been finalized. 

Heather

1 comment:

  1. Breaks are always nice...but so is starting a new training plan!

    ReplyDelete